1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
1 package (0. 3 ounce) sugar-free orange gelatin
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups thawed, frozen light whipped topping
1 orange (optional)
1/2 pint raspberries (optional)
Fresh mint leaves (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into ungreased Rectangular Baker, spreading evenly. Bake on center rack in oven 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and cracks feel dry and not stick. (Cake should be firm to the touch; do not underbake.) Carefully turn Baker upside down onto Stackable Cooling Rack; cool 45 minutes. (Do not remove cake from Baker.)
2. Using Nylon Fork or metal skewer, poke holes in cake about 1 1/2 inches deep and 1/2 inch apart.
3. Place gelatin in Small Batter Bowl. Pour boiling water into gelatin; stir about 2 minutes or until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water. Slowly pour gelatin evenly over cake. Refrigerate 3 hours.
4. Frost cake with whipped topping using Large Spreader. Cut into squares. Garnish each serving with orange slice, orange zest, raspberries and mint leaves, if desired.
Yield: 15 servings
2 cups instant long-grain white rice
2 1/2 cups water, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup)
1/3 cup green onions with tops, sliced
1/3 cup celery, coarsely chopped
1 cup fresh bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon sesame oil
4 ounces uncooked medium fresh shrimp (2/3 cup), peeled and deveined
3 tablespoons stir-fry sauce or light soy sauce (optional)
1. In Large Micro-Cooker(R), combine rice and 2 cups of the water. Microwave according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in Classic Batter Bowl, beat eggs, remaining 1/2 cup water and salt with Stainless Whisk; set aside. Slice mushrooms with Egg Slicer Plus(R). Slice green onions using Utility Knife. Coarsely chop celery with Food Chopper.
3. Add mushrooms, green onions, celery and bean sprouts to (12-in.) Skillet. Drizzle with sesame oil. Cook vegetables over medium-high heat 2 minutes, stirring with Bamboo Spoon. Add shrimp; continue cooking 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and shrimp. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6-7 minutes, until shrimp turn opaque and eggs are set. Serve with rice and stir-fry sauce, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped or shredded
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup good sized, moist raisins
Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
Melt the chocolate along with the vegetable oil in a sauce pan or a double boiler until the texture is smooth and there are no pieces of unmelted chocolate.
Add the raisins to the chocolate mixture stirring until the raisins are well coated. The coating will be thin, almost like a light glaze.
Place the chocolate coated raisins on the baking sheet with the wax paper. Try to avoid the raisins drying in clumps. Separate any clumped raisins if you can. I’ve found a toothpick to be helpful with this.
Put the entire baking sheet in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes or until the chocolate has set. Remove the tray from the refrigerator and separate any clumped raisins. The Chocolate Covered Raisins can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
For The Cherry Filling:
2 1/2 cups pitted fresh cherries
2/3 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of butter
For The Cobbler Dough:
1 cup of flour
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of vegetable shortening
1/3 cup of whole milk
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F
Arrange the cherries in a 1 quart casserole. Sprinkle the cherries with the sugar, flour and lemon juice. Dot with the tablespoon of butter.
Prepare the cobbler dough by sifting the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Cut in the shortening until crumbly. Add the milk all at once and stir just until the dough follows the fork around the bowl. Spoon dough over the top of the cherry mixture in the baking dish.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until done. Serve warm as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
Makes 6 servings
6 quarts of popped corn
2 cups of brown sugar
1 cup of margarine
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of white syrup
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
Nuts of your choice are optional
Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F
Mix Popcorn and nuts (if using) together in a large mixing bowl
In a large pot, boil all ingredients, EXCEPT the popped corn, nuts, and soda, for about 5 minutes and mixing well. Pour in the soda quickly and mix
Pour the liquid mixture over the popcorn and nuts, mix well
Put the popcorn into a large baking pan and place in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Stir about every 15 minutes
Allow the popcorn to cool. Store in an airtight container
Makes about 6 quarts of caramel corn
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1 square of unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of powdered chocolate malted milk mix
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup nuts (your choice and optional)
Chocolate frosting (optional)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
Grease a 9×9 inch baking pan
In a mixing bowl, cream the vegetable shortening, sugar and vanilla. Add in the eggs and the melted chocolate.
Sift the dry ingredients together in a a mixing bowl. Add the sifted dry ingredients along with the nuts (if using) into the bowl with the batter. Put the mixture into the 9×9 prepared baking pan and spread until even distributed and top is sooth as you can get it.
Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the toothpick test comes out clean. Ice with chocolate frosting if desired and additional nuts.
Makes about 9-12 brownies
2 pounds of ground beef
1 cup of chopped onions
1 clove of garlic
1 101/2 ounce can of condensed tomato soup
2 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 tablespoon of comino powder or cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons of chili powder
1 1/2 cups of tomato juice
Steamed Rice (optional)
2 16 ounce cans of red beans
Brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Drain the fat from the skillet. Add the onions garlic. and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly over medium to medium high heat. Add in the next 5 ingredients stirring to incorporate and mix well. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
Serve over steamed rice (if using) and beans