1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix
1/2 C butter, melted
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 T butter, softened
4 C powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using a box of Red Velvet Cake Mix, pour the contents into your stand mixer or medium-sized mixing bowl.
3. Melt 1/2 cup (one stick) of butter and add it to the cake mix. Mix the two on low for about 1 minute, or until all of the butter has been covered with the cake mix.
4. Add 1 egg and mix for about 2 minutes, or until a nice dough has formed.
5. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Roll the dough into balls (about 1 1/2 inches) and place them on the sheet.
6. Bake the cookies for 8-9 minutes, depending on how hot your oven cooks things. Watch for the cookies to puff up a bit and form cracks along the top, then take them out of the oven and let them rest on the cookies sheet for a couple of minutes.
7. Remove the cookies to a wire rack and let them cool completely.
8. In your stand mixer, or medium-sized mixing bowl beat half an 8 ounce package of cream cheese and 2 tablespoons softened butter.
9. When the two are well combined add 4 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and a dash of salt. Mix on medium speed until the frosting is smooth. If it’s too thick add a bit of milk. If it’s too runny add a bit more powdered sugar.
10. Grab some frosting and frost the underside of each cookie and push together.